Three Buildings or One?Originally Music Hall was designed for unique and dual purposes - to house musical activities in a center area and industrial exhibitions in its side wings. Mr. Springer donated one-hundred twenty-five thousand dollars toward the construction of Music Hall, on the condition that people in the community raise an equal amount - a one-to-one match. The central portion was built in one year and dedicated at the time of the fourth May Festival in 1878. As the central portion was being planned and the decrepit Exposition Hall torn down, business and manufacturing interests protested, arguing that they no longer would have a place for their popular exhibitions. Reuben Springer was a businessman himself and he understood their objections. In a letter to the Citizens of Cincinnati, he explained:
The ArchitectAfter a review of the competing designs from outstanding architectural companies - both local and national - the firm of Hannaford and Procter was chosen. Samuel Hannaford was the head of the most prolific and probably most successful architectural firm in Cincinnati, from before the Civil War until he retired in 1900. The Hannaford architectural dynasty continued under the leadership of his son and others until the 1960s.
The ArchitectureHannaford designed the structure in the style of High Victorian Gothic. The architectural style is seen in various design elements in the structure. The façade of the structure includes sandstone designs that speak to the purpose of each of the three sections:
- music symbols, such as the French horn and Lyre, adorn the central portion
- gears and hammers are prominent on the north hall, which was known as Machinery Hall
- flowers and foliage adorn the south wing, or Horticultural Hall
- and the initials CIE (Cincinnati Industrial Exposition) are prominent on both the north and south wings
Inside Cincinnati Music Hall
The Foyer is where patrons have always promenaded during intermissions of various events. Both levels of the foyer also serve as a gallery honoring contributors, individuals and significant events in the life of Music Hall.
Music Hall is best known for its central portion: the elegant and acoustically-acclaimed Springer Auditorium where Cincinnati's Symphony Orchestra, May Festival, Opera, and Ballet companies and other productions hold performances.
Originally, the auditorium had far less rake and seated nearly 6,000 people, including orchestra and chorus on stage. Over the years, the auditorium's size has been reduced, both to extend the stage and to accommodate more comfortable seats and improve accessibility.
In the domed center of the ceiling of the auditorium, an oil painting by Arthur Thomas depicts an ''Allegory of the Arts.'' This was added in 1905.
Suspended from the center of the dome is a dramatic chandelier of brass and thousands of hand-cut crystals, seemingly light and airy but actually weighing 1,500 pounds. This and the three smaller chandeliers in the foyer were part of the 1969 renovation. Then, in 2017, the foyer chandeliers were moved to Corbett Tower.
When first built, Music Hall's "stage" was a platform that held the singers and orchestra. Visiting opera and theatre troupes needed to create their own proscenium, curtain and wings.
Seeing an opportunity to draw additional performances, the Music Hall Association added a proscenium and thrust stage in 1895.
While the proscenium remains, renovations over the years have improved the stage area, added an orchestra pit and brought the stage more into the audience area.
Now Music Hall possesses one of the largest and best-equipped stages in the world. A 90-ton steel grid framework is used to suspend scenery and lighting. It rests on the original foundations of the 1844 Orphan Asylum, one of the early occupants of the site.
Above the Foyer is a charming reception room. When Music Hall was built, this area of the structure was known as Dexter Hall, named for Julius Dexter, a civic leader and chair of the Music Hall building committee.
Corbett Tower was recently refurbished. A drop ceiling added in the 1960s to accommodate air conditioning was removed, and the room gained an extra 17 feet of height. In addition, this action exposed a cove ceiling and elegant stenciling, which has been faithfully reproduced.
The North Hall
When built, this wing was known as Mechanical Hall. The large building featured two levels to accommodate the machinery shown in expositions. In the 1920s, when the popularity of expositions waned, the north wing was renovated and a six-thousand-seat sports arena was installed. In the early 70s, as sporting events moved to other venues, the wing was refurbished to accommodate set construction, painting and storage.
The north wing now contains:
- the Corbett Opera Center, which includes administrative and production offices, a rehearsal room, reception area and box office for the Cincinnati Opera
- offices for the Cincinnati Arts Association, which manages Music Hall
- a scenery storage area
- carpenter shop
- two rehearsal halls, one of which is used for Cincinnati Ballet and smaller performances.
The South Hall
The southern portion of this 3-building structure was known as Horticulture Hall. When it was built, this wing featured two levels with a glass roof and accommodated exhibits ranging from plants and landscape displays to art exhibits.
The 1927 renovation provided a full roof for south hall, and the second floor became a ballroom - a popular spot for bands and dancing.
Today, the first floor holds the offices of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Cincinnati Pops, and May Festival. The ballroom remains on the second floor, and the restored Albee Mighty Wurlitzer Organ "lives" in a special room on the west side of the ballroom. One half floor up - on the same level as the auditorium's balcony, is the office of the Friends of Music Hall.